Niçoise means “in the style of Nice,” so if you find any dish described in this term, you would know that it follows the style it is cooked in Nice, France. Typically, the recipes have ingredients like tomatoes, olives, and anchovies with garlic as its primary flavoring. Boiled eggs are also added as a variation by other countries, along with other vegetables.
This Salade Niçoise, like every other salad, is packed with essential nutrients from the variety of healthy vegetables that it contains. And because of the omega 3 rich anchovies and tuna that give that special punch into the salad, you can expect healthy fats, proteins, and carbohydrates that fill you up in an amazingly healthy way and increase your brain power. Here is a recipe for this salad that you and your family will surely enjoy, complete with all of the ingredients that make it a healthy and nutritious meal.
1 2 oz can of anchovy fillets
1 13 oz can tuna
3 medium potatoes with skin
3 medium tomatoes
2 small heads lettuce
Slices of cucumber (optional)
1 16 oz can French beans
1 6 oz can pitted olives
- Cook unpeeled potatoes until tender. Make the hard-boiled eggs. Once done, refrigerate both the cooked potatoes and eggs until they are thoroughly chilled.
- After chilling peel the potatoes, cutting them into bite-sized pieces. Set them aside.
- You can now start to peel the hard-boiled eggs, ideally under running cold water, being careful to keep the egg whites intact. Cut the peeled eggs into four wedges. Cut your tomatoes into wedges as well.
- Drain water from the can of tuna. Flake the tuna into bite-sized pieces. Do the same for the canned anchovies, draining them and separating the anchovy fillets carefully. Set them aside.
- Prepare your salad bowl. Start tearing up the lettuce and placing them into the container. On top of the leaves, begin to arrange your other ingredients, separating them into piles. French beans, potatoes, tuna, tomatoes, beans, eggs, and anchovies. You can also make a separate pile for your cucumbers if you are adding any.
- Sprinkle the pitted olives over the salad for garnishing. Serve with a french dressing separately.
¾ cup salad oil or olive oil
¼ cup cider vinegar
¾ tsp salt/1/8 tsp pepper
Measure all of the ingredients into a bowl and stir with a fork to combine them. You may also use a covered jar and shake the ingredients together. Chill. Just before serving, make sure you give the dressing a good shake. The salade niçoise is a versatile salad, which is another reason why it is so popular. Any garden vegetable can be included, such as leafy greens and other root veggies. You can use other filets you prefer, seasoning them with dill and lemon. You can also go for canned salmon as an excellent option. Try out this recipe for your next salad dish. You can have it as a starter or even a main course. It is healthy and delicious, and you and your family can take advantage of all its incredible benefits.