We may take the humble lentils for granted, but in fact, these legumes go way back in time. Its origins are from the middle east and are believed to be the very first legumes that were ever planted. You may even find a biblical story about them. They are held with the highest esteem in France, boasting of green lentils grown in one of its provinces. They have included these legumes on their soup recipes because of its distinct flavour and heartiness.
There are many recipes you will find for lentils, where different countries have their take on how they want it prepared. This particular recipe is excellent before the main course, but can also serve as a filling meal that is both comforting and delicious. Here is a soup recipe for lentils that you might want to try.
Hearty Lentil Soup
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup lentils
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium potatoes chopped
2 large carrots chopped
½ cabbage chopped
A few slices of ham cut into strips
1 Hungarian sausage diced
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 cans of water
4 cups vegetable or beef broth
Favourite spices to taste (e.g. cumin, thyme, Italian seasoning)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, warm olive oil on a pot. When the oil begins to simmer, add in the onions and continue to stir for a few minutes until they have turned translucent and soft.
- Add in your favourite spices and allow to cook along with the onions, infusing them with their flavour and aroma. Add the sliced ham and diced sausage, stirring them along with the rest of the ingredients to enhance the flavours even more.
- Pour the can of tomatoes into the pot and keep cooking slowly while stirring to distribute the flavours evenly.
- Add the lentils and the broth and slowly simmer. Keep at low heat to maintain the slow simmer of the soup. Cook until the lentils are nice and soft but still retaining their shape.
- Put in the chopped cabbage and retain the heat, allowing the soup to simmer until the cabbage leaves are wilted and have the texture you prefer.
- Your soup is ready. You may add a few drops of virgin olive oil before serving.
You can serve this with hot crusty bread that complements it perfectly.
Why this recipe is well-loved
This lentil soup recipe is a must-try and something you will learn to appreciate, not only because it is delicious. For one thing, you can quickly get the ingredients, whether at home or your local grocery store. You can use whatever vegetable you want to add in. You may already have them in your pantry. The soup is substantial. You can have it alone, and you are satisfied. Lentils are easy to cook. There is no need to soak them before cooking. No special preparations are needed, and it only takes a few minutes to cook. They are high in fibre and promote healthy bacteria in the gut. They offer essential nutrients, so you can consider this a healthy meal on its own.